To receive a cosmetology license in Missouri or a license in one of the other beauty practitioner disciplines in this state you have to attend a licensed school and complete the minimum required training hours before you can take the state’s board exams. These required training hours are specified by the Missouri State Board of Cosmetology and Barber Examiners. After you pass the exam you can apply for the license. The application fee is 75$ for cosmetology and barber licenses.
Minimum required training hours
- Cosmetologist license: 1500 hours (3000 Hours Apprenticeship)
- Barber license: 1500 hours (2000 Hours Apprenticeship)
Examinations are already stressful, but a lack of information or misinformation only adds unnecessary stress. The exams in Missouri are administered through Profession Credential Services (PCS). Therefore, we advise every applicant to read through the FAQ documents for information on theory and practical exams offered by PCS and contact either the Board or PCS if you have questions.
Contact Information Missouri State Board of Cosmetology and Barber Examiners
Board of Cosmetology and Barber Examiners
3605 Missouri Boulevard
P.O. Box 1062
Jefferson City, MO 65102-1062
Toll Free: 866.762.9432
Email: [email protected]
Cosmetology License Renewal
Cosmetology licenses in Missouri are renewed every two years. No continuing education hours are required for renewal. The renewal fees are $30 .
Out-of-state license / Out-of-country license
An out-of-state license does qualify you for a cosmetology license in Missouri (without examination!) for a person who either
- has practiced cosmetology for at least two (2) consecutive years in another state, territory of the United States, or the District of Columbia. or who
- holds a current cosmetology license in another state, territory of the United States, or the District of Columbia, when the requirements for licensure, are substantially equal or superior to those in Missouri at the time of application.
The board defines a “substantially equal” number of training hours as 95% or more of the training hours required in Missouri
The completed application form needs to be accompanies by:
- An affidavit completed by the state licensing agency verifying the type of license held by the applicant in that state;
- Two United States passport photographs measuring two inches by two inches (2″ × 2″) taken within the last five (5) years;
- The cosmetology reciprocity fee of $100
Disclaimer: We don’t guarantee the accuracy of the above information. Ultimately the Missouri State Board of Cosmetology and Barber Examiners determines license requirements and will provide you with all needed information. We are not affiliated with the Board in any way. The information on this page was last updated on 9/8/2014.